Use Psolids For Areas With Macros

Joe_Carrick

I found an interesting aspect of Polyline Solids that allows Text Boxes with Macros to maintain connections even when the PSolids overlap or are in contact. 

1.  A Text box with an Arrow will connect to the PSolid with the Arrowhead inside the perimeter of the PSolid.

2.  Each PSolid can have separate Text Boxes connected.

3.  Overlapping PSolids will not interfere with the connections of each others Text Boxes.

So here's a scenario:

1.  Convert the Property Line Boundary to a PSolid, 1" thick, Transparent Material

2.  Attach a Text Box with an area macro to that PSolid  with the Arrowhead pointing to a spot inside the boundary.

3.  Edit the Boundary and the macro will display the new area - and there's no "Disconnect" problem

Now repeat the above for other areas within the site that you want to get the areas of.

Even though the PSolids overlap, they will not interfere with each other.  The area's displayed are correct for each area.

This makes it possible to do Area Analysis of Site Plans, Rooms, Groups of Rooms, etc without the problem of the Text Boxes becoming confused as to what they are connected to.

It may take a little finesse to get the Text Boxes connected to the right PSolid the first time, but once that's done it works really well.

• 4 weeks later...

I found an interesting aspect of Polyline Solids that allows Text Boxes with Macros to maintain connections even when the PSolids overlap or are in contact. 

1.  A Text box with an Arrow will connect to the PSolid with the Arrowhead inside the perimeter of the PSolid.

2.  Each PSolid can have separate Text Boxes connected.

3.  Overlapping PSolids will not interfere with the connections of each others Text Boxes.

So here's a scenario:

1.  Convert the Property Line Boundary to a PSolid, 1" thick, Transparent Material

2.  Attach a Text Box with an area macro to that PSolid  with the Arrowhead pointing to a spot inside the boundary.

3.  Edit the Boundary and the macro will display the new area - and there's no "Disconnect" problem

Now repeat the above for other areas within the site that you want to get the areas of.

Even though the PSolids overlap, they will not interfere with each other.  The area's displayed are correct for each area.

This makes it possible to do Area Analysis of Site Plans, Rooms, Groups of Rooms, etc without the problem of the Text Boxes becoming confused as to what they are connected to.

It may take a little finesse to get the Text Boxes connected to the right PSolid the first time, but once that's done it works really well.

Joe,

What is the difference between what you just shared and Richards video?

Joe,

What is the difference between what you just shared and Richards video?

PSolids (actually any solid) can be connected with an arrow pointing inside the area, whereas a simple Polyline will need to be connected to the edge.  In Richard's video he is using a "Cross Box" which isn't just a simple Polyline - it has a "Fill" which also allows the arrow to connect to the interior - but it's not as persistent a connection as you get with a Solid.

btw, I posted this a month ago - before Richard's video.

PSolids (actually any solid) can be connected with an arrow pointing inside the area, whereas a simple Polyline will need to be connected to the edge.  In Richard's video he is using a "Cross Box" which isn't just a simple Polyline - it has a "Fill" which also allows the arrow to connect to the interior - but it's not as persistent a connection as you get with a Solid.

btw, I posted this a month ago - before Richard's video.

Not trying to prove a point of who thought of it first. I just wanted to know if I might be missing something. He also mentioned in his post (not video) you can use PSolids.

Everyone explains things a little different for the same Idea and I like that because we all learn different. I'm terrible with written directions so I like the video's.

BTW, I couldn't get Richards macro to work. I attached the dialog box. Maybe someone can tell me what I have wrong. I typed it in because the file he sent did not work.

post-2478-0-71812900-1432746315_thumb.png

A simple closed polyline can be attached in the interior -- IF it has a fill. The big advantage that a polyline solid has is that you can SUBTRACT areas with holes, and it will calculate the resulting area correctly.

Joey,

Could be that don't have "Referenced Object" selected next to the evaluation checkbox. If your text leader has attached to the object, then you should get that macro as a possible macro to insert into the text DBX. Maybe watch the video again? BTW, there are two macros: one for cross-boxes, and one for closed polylines. Are you using the right one?

A simple closed polyline can be attached in the interior -- IF it has a fill. The big advantage that a polyline solid has is that you can SUBTRACT areas with holes, and it will calculate the resulting area correctly.

Joey,

Could be that don't have "Referenced Object" selected next to the evaluation checkbox. If your text leader has attached to the object, then you should get that macro as a possible macro to insert into the text DBX. Maybe watch the video again? BTW, there are two macros: one for cross-boxes, and one for closed polylines. Are you using the right one?

I got it to work with the cross box but I cant get it to pick up the PSolid. I have tried transparent, solid fill and every other scenario I could think of.

Joey, don't say I never did anything for you: https://youtu.be/9zEC9ZoVMss

I really appreciate the video but that wasn't the problem. I had to download winzip so I could unzip the macro files. I got that to work but also Joe finally just put the macro up so I can cut and paste it. Everything is working great now!!!

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You

All you guys are great!

I love the video's!

I use 7zip but windows 7/8 has built in "Extract" function for zipfiles on the Right Click menu

you could have just drag the files to your desktop instead of unzipping.

I'm have to call Dell support. Something has changed in my system and I need them to clean it up anyway. I pay yearly for their support. Its good money spent so I don't waste countless hours fixing and cleaning when things go wrong. Also they do scheduled maintenance.