Advice Using/ Buying Laptop

jessde

I see a number of members using laptops and would like some advice on buying  one as well. I would like to be able to use my 27" monitor 2560x1440 as well when at home.

I thought that a good gaming laptop would be the way to go but have heard that the video cards are not as good for 3D modeling . Not tech savvy sooo.....

Would like to stay in $1000- 1200 range if possible .

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

In my experience, you pay a good 40-50% premium (in dollars)  for the equivalent performance from a laptop over a desktop... up to a point. Say roughly up to around 6 on a performance scale of 1 to 10 as to what is out there in computing hardware . Once you get to 7 and up on the performance scale, especially when delving into the high end GPU and overclocked CPU hardware end of things, there simply is no equivalent in the laptop arena. High end hardware/performance produces heat, lots of it. A laptop simply can't shed it fast enough, hence there is this self imposed performance boundary that laptops simply can't get past.

That said a good Sager or Alienware laptop will be good enough for me. I figure that I can spend a lot on the laptop if I'm not buying a desktop too. The Dell Alienware laptops are good because they don't skimp on the power supply.

The new  chips require less power, and produce less heat than earlier processors, so the power supply and heat dissipation issues are less; and they will use the integrated GPU (saving power, and heat) until the discreet GPU is required.

The GPU still produces a lot of heat when rendering, and 3 gigs on a mobile GTX card is not even close to the same 3 gigs on on a GTX desktop system; but seem to be adequate for my needs.

I'm looking for convenience, and adequate power; not bragging rights.

I'm running a 50" 4K monitor via HDMI, And a 30" monitor via displayport adapted to dual link DVI with no problems on my laptop.

good advice .Thanks everyone. I feel better prepared to make some decisions now. Wish I could afford a PC as well as mine are out of date , but I spend more time away from home and office now so a laptop is a real consideration.

It sounds as if at this time ,although a laptop may do the job, it won't compete with a desktop,so I just need to consider the trade offs. 

Thanks for everyone taking their time to help me out with this.