Unique Door And Window Trim

Ginkgohouse

create an architectural block of the trim, 

in elevation view with the interior trim turned of, use a p-solid and molding line. block together and copy to your library as millwork.

of course you will need to make one for each window size your dealing with.

another nice Video Perry , thanks.

The tough part is going to be the triangular Header , and widened top part of the side casing I think since the Window is still rectangular in the OP's pic....

perhaps a head symbol is needed ,with the molding applied ?

Here's another take on the casing.

I developed a casing using molding polylines, and saved it as a symbol

But instead of just placing it on the wall, and carefully adjusting it to each window; I have applied it as a window treatment, in this case, a curtain.

This window can be copied and pasted, or saved to the library.

The advantage of this method is that the casing places automatically, and stretches in width with the window. It will also stretch in height, or at least the top of it, but the bottom must be adjusted manually if the sill is raised or lowered.

This will also work with mulled units, as long as the treatment is applied after the windows are mulled.

I've attached the plan so you can check it out.

casisng as treatment.plan

post-62-0-69911700-1427079723_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Thanks, Jon, Perry, and Ken,

Window attachments can be used for other purposes as well. I use "blinds" for window surrounds (jamb extensions), and radius drywall or stucco wraps.

See this thread: http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread.php?64641-How-To-Create-a-Deep-inset-Window-With-a-Stucco-Wrap&highlight=drywall+wraps Starting at about post 20.

post-62-0-41348600-1427150168_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Bill, yes, thank you very much for sharing this with us.

This is especially interesting, b/c over the weekend I was admiring the work of an architect who employed the use of this technique at the window openings of a very large Church he designed around 1900. His edging profile was beaded, however, and sat on a chamfer (as shown in the attached pic). I have not had the opportunity go through the thread from the old forum, but do you think this is possible? Also, the bead did not descend to meet the sill, but terminated several inches above it with the chamfer creating an angled ledge. Very beautiful detail, I thought.

Thanks again, really appreciate it!

post-571-0-83220300-1427159100_thumb.jpg

Mickey,

Attached is a plan with the beveled beaded surround (jamb extension).

The beveled beaded surround is done as a blind and stretches nicely with the window. It can be copied, or saved to the library.

The rosettes are done as a curtain, and stretch nicely in width, but must be adjusted in the DBX if the head is raised.

post-62-0-98357100-1427184132_thumb.jpg

post-62-0-66057700-1427184152_thumb.jpg

Beaded surround.plan

Thanks for everyone's help !   Great "out of the box" thinking !!    The curtain method has to be the mother lode of the infamous workarounds.    Too bad the you cannot add the curtain symbol to doorways.  but the method will save a ton of time to get accurate renderings while the design process continues.

Thanks again

Mark

OK, Bill. Here is another challenge: Is it possible to apply the profile I submitted earlier to the wall in a situation like the one in this pic, which I believe came from the other thread you provided to link to?

Bill, I just realized the answer to my question may be contained in other thread you posted, which I have not had time to dig into yet. Sorry if that is the case.

post-571-0-12178400-1427292668_thumb.jpg

The "curtain" method works for any small profile, interior or exterior. For deep set windows with wide flared or radius openings other methods are required. Another limitation to the "curtain" method is that it works best on rectangular windows.

The other caution is that it requires some knowledge of symbols, and takes a little time to set up, and that the setup is a little different for windows with differing frame size, and frame offsets.