Wall Niche Symbol Library

Joe_Carrick

She should.

Joe, I missed out what the trick is to show the hole, I still get the wood showing, not the hole. I did take the texture off the studs.

Perry,

The wall has to be Framed and the "Framing, Walls" layer needs to be displayed.  The "wood" that's showing is what Chief shows for the stud layer when the Framing is not displayed.  This is the same as what you see if you used the "Delete Surface" Tool to remove wall layers temporarily.

Joe, interesting trick. How do you then apply a new material (tile) into this niche?

Scott,

Select the frame - or the edge of the niche and then tab. That get's you to the Geometric Shape Symbol which you can open and adjust the materials, size, etc. If you adjust the size of the Symbol you will also need to select the opening, TAB and adjust the Backsplash size.

IOW, see the bold black Note in post #1 ;)

An alternative is to "UnBlock" but then you lose the connection between the 2 parts and moving up/down and sideways is not so easy because you have to select both pieces to move them together - or you could re-block them.

This "trick" as Scott calls it really will work with any symbol as it just combines a transparent Backsplash and a Symbol as an Architectural Block.  The two parts then can be copied, moved, etc as one while still retaining their individual characteristics and behaviors.

I was doing some work outside this morning - but it's about 95 degrees right now (mid march in Southern California only 6 miles from the beach) and it's too hot to work outside so I decided to slap together a representative set.  I'm still looking for anything special to add - within reason of course ;)

A top surface puck light to illuminate any objet placed within would be great. 

As this sits, it's a 4" wall concealing structural steel posts and backed by 20" stone wall.  The "niches" are pass-throughs with zero casing and the frame 15" deep with a -1/2" inset to bring it flush with the drywall.

The 15" frame depth gives me about a 2" gap with the stone wall, and I've tried to backlight that without success.

I saw what you've been doing with niches, and wondered if a niche could be transformed in a light fixture.  So, just wonderin'.

jon

Jon,

I've done some experimenting and I can do it.  I'll make one 15x15x15 with a puck light in it.  It would help if you could tell me what you want the light data to be.  Spot, Lumens, Cut off Angle, etc.

You will need to make your framed wall with just the studs and one surface (nothing between the studs and the stone wall) because the Niche will only cut the front face of the wall.  I can't do this with a "Pass Thru" because Chief doesn't allow Windows to be included in an Architectural Block.

As soon as I have the light data I'll get the Niche set up for you.

One note about the "Opening/Hole in the Wall".  The material is 100% Transparent [Area] which will not appear transparent in a Vector View.  There are 2 ways to deal with this:

1.  Edit the "Opening/Hole in the Wall" to a Layer which can be turned off when in a Vector View (Perspective or Elevation).  That way it will not be displayed.

2.  Change the material to a [Gap] which will be transparent in all Render Types.  The downside to this is that it will not be selectable so if you need to edit the position of the "Opening" to match the position of the Niche you will have difficulty doing so.

I've discovered some ways to improve all of this so the Niches, etc will automatically insert into the wall.  They will also be created with custom Layers so the opening will be transparent in Vector Views.

These modifications will essentially make the Symbols insert into the wall with no other editing required except to change materials as desired.

I will be making those changes and posting new Libraries in the next couple of days.  I will start a new thread for those and when they are ready I will delete this thread.