Making 1St Floor Flush Inside Foundation

bksalaska

Go to solution Solved by BuilderLFD,

Technical support suggested that my problem would be best handled as a forum question. I am trying to establish the 1st floor joists flush with my foundation. I have two attachments, one the 3d cross section of my rendered house with the framing specification dialog box showing offsets I used to accomplish thispost-3202-0-32606000-1426116120_thumb.jpgpost-3202-0-51117300-1426116187_thumb.jpg. Unfortunately the program still shows a blank space where joists would normally sit. The second attachment is a CAD foundation diagram of CA's “Foundation Hung From Sill Plate” which is exactly what I am trying to do. Any suggestions. This is my first attempt at a post and is probably a little wordy

You have to frame the floor structure to see it, or you have that layer turned off in that camera view or section view. You also need to set it up for that foundation type. Post your plan for the truth of what's going on.

also what version are you using, makes a big difference.

• Solution

You're going about it wrong.  In your framing specification, you have set your floor joist at 11-1/2" below your floor.  Your floor level is 0, so with 3/4" plywood, the floor joist should be -3/4", not -11.5" as shown.  In order to accomplish what you are trying to do, leave your framing alone, and the let CA do its magic. 

All you need to do is:

1. go to your foundation plan,
  2. select the concrete wall where you want the joists hung,
  3. Open up the wall dialog box 
  4. Select the structure tab for that wall
  5. Under "Platform Intersections" check the box "Hang floor platform above on wall"

Remember, your floor is always zero, so when you changed the floor joist to -11 1/2", the floor stayed at zero, and your joists dropped down.  Hence the gap.  Follow the method I outlined, and your concrete wall goes up with the joists hung as shown in your cross section.

Hope this helps

BuilderLFD,

Thanks very much for your suggestions. I will go back to my plan with them. Earlier DRAWZILLA asked for the house plan and a little more information.

I am deep in the process of building a real log home of the same dimensions and hence the reason for 14” walls shown in the plan. I can get my architectural overhead plan views this way and also use it for floor and roof framing and personal visualization by way of interior 3d views.

Have been using Home Designer Pro 2014 and 2015 for the past two years and recently switched to Chief Architect X6 Premier because I need some of the features it offers to finish. Unfortunately my skills are better in other areas than those I possess for CA. There is a wealth of information on the CA web site however. I hope to incorporate some of X6 recent log friendly additions such as trusses into this plan or construct a similar new one later from scratch.

bks house plan.zip

post-3202-0-99051300-1426182609_thumb.jpg

post-3202-0-45306600-1426182638_thumb.jpg

BuilderLFD,

Thanks very much for your concise response.  I followed your instructions in CA and the foundation moved up as I needed.  I will have to adjust the joist heights (set at -11 1/2" now) to -3/4" a little work, but my approach was wrong from the start.

DRAWZILLA,

I opened your modification to plan.  It does put a new set of joists and rim joists in the space above the foundation, but I needed the foundation to be at the level of the top of the joists.  This modification left the old joists below the new joists.  I was just asking too much by forcing the floor joists to a negative value.  I appreciate your response and assistance nevertheless

Sorry about that, nowhere in your text did it say you were using X6. Getting the stem wall flush is the easy part, just check the box. Aligning your walls was the biggest problem I saw there. Other problems were present but I didn't have time to go there.

Sorry DRAWZILLIA, should have been a bit clearer.  In my response to BuilderLFD, I added  :" Have been using Home Designer Pro 2014 and 2015 for the past two years and recently switched to Chief Architect X6 Premier because I need some of the features it offers to finish".  The plan was created in Home Designer Pro 2014 (now 2015 to allow compatibility with CA) and i have been try to resolve the joist gap there.  It has been in the plans for some time, but I put off its resolution for until now.  I understand the confusion. i need to get my profile info to display when I ask questions on the forum.

As I indicated earlier, I have been working on a personal log home project for myself the last 10 years.  It is based on decades old plans and I needed to move them to today's standards for Engineering alnalysis and county inspectors.  After looking around four years ago and not finding any log home orriented drawing software - including CA -  that really adequately addressed log home architectural drawings, I settled on Home Designer Pro because It would let me produce my overhead plan views in conjunction with use of Photoshop CS4 for elevation views and needed details. I am fairly proficient with this program.  After three years with Designer however,  I realized  that I needed to move over to CA for the many extra features it provides.  Designer is good but I am realizing it was not designed to do professional quality work at the level I needed.  For myself, going to a professional for the drawings was out of the question because the real building project has  been a work in progress from the start.  Pragmatically HD was less expensive to start.  I am slowly moving into CA.  A good example between the two programs is the suggestion by BuilderLFD does not exist as an option in HD Pro.  I would not have known to look until the forum inquiry at any rate. Thanks again.

Brian