Boxed Out Window Help

SNestor

I want to create a box (or bay) type window.  The walls of the boxed out window extend out 12" or so.  I want the floor in the boxed out window to be raised up about 36".  I want the floor structure of this boxed out window to be 2x6's...and there needs to be a finish on the bottom side...such as 3/8" soffit.  The window I'm trying to build will ultimately have a couple of corbel brackets under the box out.

I've attached a basic plan to kind of show what I am trying to accomplish.  

Why don't I have a ceiling on the porch roof?  I had one...then it went away.  So...I did something...but for the life of me I can't figure out what.

Do I need to have a room under this boxed out window in order to create a finish on the underside?

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Box Window - second floor.plan

it sounds like a standard Auto Box Window with a couple of brackets from the library ,   is it not working/ what is the problem?

M.

edit : your settings seem to work for me Steve on Auto ..I didn't add the brackets btw....  and you need to delete each side window at 12" depth

attachicon.gif12x36 Box window.JPG

attachicon.gif12x36 Box window.plan

Well...I tried the auto box window but I don't know how to get (2) separate windows on the front of the box.  Is this possible?

Ahhhhhh your original question didn't mention 2 separate windows , I think you'd have to make the 1 look like 2 , or do the Box window manually instead to allow that, but am not 100% sure I'd need to play a bit ...might have time later to try if some else doesnt answer 1st.

to edit the window not the Box Bay hit tab or Next after selecting the Bay.

M.

If you need two windows absolutely, make the bump out a balcony. Then raise the balcony floor and lower the ceiling.I suppose you'll also have to manually edit the roofs? There is a problem with the balcony floor connecting into the walls, but I suppose you could cover with a polyline? No good solution -- BL -- another limitation.

post-57-0-57611200-1421521959_thumb.jpg

I did a bump out on the 1st floor. you'll see how I did it. as for the underneath area , you'll need a p-solid to cover it.

Perry - Cannot open the file.  It says it's a different version than what I have.  I am running 16.4.1.20OSX

Do I need to upgrade...or are you running version 7?

Also...the reason I created the bump on the 2nd floor is because the house I am trying has a porch roof under the bumped out window.  The roof cuts off the walls....which is another issue.  

This is such a typical detail...I am really surprised how difficult it is to create.  Chief...fix this please!

---- Chief software engineers seem more interested in cabinet design that house design.  

sorry about that

If you want the walls on the second floor to go past the roof then just cut the roof plane around the box out.

if you want the walls to stop at the roof ,use the "Roof cuts wall at bottom" tool, of course this is the manual way.

Well...I want the boxed out window floating above the roof. The bottom needs to be roughly 18" above the roof so it can have some corbels under it.

I would cut the roof around the bay and add a poly solid to patch the roof hole. You may need another solid to patch the ceiling.      Not perfect but it will get  the job done. 

you lost the ceiling in the porch as it it set at 175" ,switching it to default causes your  Box window to disappear though.

actually it is inside the porch roof  :)

post-315-0-63359500-1421545249_thumb.jpg

is the box window supposed to be under the existing Main roof or have its own roof as seen in your plan ?cx

edit: I see Bill posted above while I was playing ....Nice ...

Attached is a PDF showing the box window detail I am trying to create.

This window is in the second floor closet.  The "floor" of the box window is about 42" or so above the floor...and the ceiling is dropped to hide the header.  The "box" extends out about 12"...and floats above the roof.

Why...after 20 years of software development is this not easy-peasy?  Chief...please fix this or at least post a video how you expect us to complete something so simple.

Box Window Example.pdf

Here is my take loosely based on your PDF image.

I just built the boxed window as a room attached to

the side of the wall. That way you can add whatever

window configuration you like.

Well...that's it exactly.  So...how do I accomplish this?  

Maybe it is simple?

I think Bill did it for you,  see post 12.

Well...not quite.  

It seems the solution is to name the boxed out window space a "balcony".  However, the floor of this balcony is connected to the porch ceiling below.  So...if I build the box window area...it raises the porch ceiling to the bottom of the floor of the boxed out window.  

The solution to that is to use a polyline solid for the porch ceiling?  On the plan attached I used a PS for the porch roof...and porch beam.  Let me know if there is a better way to accomplish the same result.

I'm not sure if this is a glitch...or if it's newbie user error.  When I place a roof on the 2nd floor...I get flat soffits.  However, the moment I cut the roof plane and pull the roof out past the boxed window the softit slopes.  Actually, the flat soffit board at the front of the boxed window is still horizontal...but it's sticking up through the roof plane.  You can see this in the attached plan.  

Just an absolute PITA.

Boxed Out Window 2.plan

Well...not quite.  

It seems the solution is to name the boxed out window space a "balcony".  However, the floor of this balcony is connected to the porch ceiling below.  So...if I build the box window area...it raises the porch ceiling to the bottom of the floor of the boxed out window.  

The solution to that is to use a polyline solid for the porch ceiling?  On the plan attached I used a PS for the porch roof...and porch beam.  Let me know if there is a better way to accomplish the same result.

I'm not sure if this is a glitch...or if it's newbie user error.  When I place a roof on the 2nd floor...I get flat soffits.  However, the moment I cut the roof plane and pull the roof out past the boxed window the softit slopes.  Actually, the flat soffit board at the front of the boxed window is still horizontal...but it's sticking up through the roof plane.  You can see this in the attached plan.  

Just an absolute PITA.

Floor connected to roof, it makes perfect sense to me..... But why did it look correct in x6 but in xt