One Way To Add Volutes To Stairs

tommy1

Here is one way to add volutes to stairs. This plan attached explains how I did it in steps. In the plan, I have a 3d molding polyline ready to go that you can add to your library. There is also a handrail profile to add to your library too if you want. It's a common handrail used here and is not in Chief's library. This method basically uses a landing for the first tread and a 3d molding polyline for the volute and handrail. Balusters for the volute are placed manually. You can always make your own 3d polyline to use. There are other ways to do this but this is how I do it. It looks pretty good in plan view too. X6 Plan file.

post-66-0-92389000-1414249710_thumb.jpgpost-66-0-45198100-1414249932_thumb.jpgVolute sample.plan

thanks tommy, this is very nice.

but my method is the easiest way to do it. every thing is automatic.

i have already created a starter thread that contains the volute and balusters using landing.

then when the rail attached to it, then automatically connects with it and fully become part of the stair as you see

in the picture attached.

hope once you c these illustrative pictures, ever one here can do his own one in a minute!!!!! 

post-2517-0-09140300-1414279735_thumb.jpg

post-2517-0-35602500-1414279747_thumb.jpg

Yusuf, the first tread here doesn't normally look like that here in Houston and the position of the volute is different from the way they do it here also. If that look is okay, then yes, that will be fine.

First, thank you very much Tommy for making the effort to put this out for us. Second, Uhhhhh, I will knock the way Yusuf is proposing to show the volute and handrail. That is a tripping hazard and if my building inspector saw that he would punch me in the face with my own fist.

thanks tommy you are right, i did it just to show an example,

i am sure, those volutes you posted can be done by this way,i will try to post a picture similar to your one.

the other guys here, the major area of concern here is modeling in chief, your code is there

and not the issue, if you need, i will help you how to do it using your code!

send me an e-mail or come to Ethiopia to learn those things you don't know :D

Thanks for the invite but I'll probably stay here for now.

thanks tommy you are right, i did it just to show an example,

i am sure, those volutes you posted can be done by this way,i will try to post a picture similar to your one.

the other guys here, the major area of concern here is modeling in chief, your code is there

and not the issue, if you need, i will help you how to do it using your code!

send me an e-mail or come to Ethiopia to learn those things you don't know :D

I don't think so.

• 1 month later...

I will post the plan If you are interested with the way I do it, I am not home for now. it contains an automatic starter thread with volute and hope it helps, at least you can customise to your needs. May be mine doesn't fit yours or your codes. The main thing is learning how to do such things in chief. Chief can do a lot more if we understand.

I will post the plan If you are interested with the way I do it, I am not home for now. it contains an automatic starter thread with volute and hope it helps, at least you can customise to your needs. May be mine doesn't fit yours or your codes. The main thing is learning how to do such things in chief. Chief can do a lot more if we understand.

Yusuf,

I look forward to see how you do that. Always nice to learn new tricks. 

Thanks!

Here is one way to add volutes to stairs. This plan attached explains how I did it in steps. In the plan, I have a 3d molding polyline ready to go that you can add to your library. There is also a handrail profile to add to your library too if you want. It's a common handrail used here and is not in Chief's library. This method basically uses a landing for the first tread and a 3d molding polyline for the volute and handrail. Balusters for the volute are placed manually. You can always make your own 3d polyline to use. There are other ways to do this but this is how I do it. It looks pretty good in plan view too. X6 Plan file.

attachicon.gifVolute 3d molding polyline.jpgattachicon.gifVolute 3d molding polyline plan view.jpgattachicon.gifVolute sample.plan

Thanks for sharing this Tommy! 

Yusuf, the first tread here doesn't normally look like that here in Houston and the position of the volute is different from the way they do it here also. If that look is okay, then yes, that will be fine.

Tommy, I tried to match your sample volute to show if the method fits those you asked. If it is OK fine, if not may be we could still do some workarounds to make it work.

• 6 years later...