Skylight Problem

Larry_Sweeney

I want to put skylights in a roof where I'm using scissor trusses with a 5/12 pitch for the roof and a 3/12 pitch for the ceiling below. When I install the skylight the ceiling hole does not line up with the shaft. I show this at points "A" and "B" in the first two attachments. I tried deleteing the hole in the ceiling and then make my own hole in the ceiling, but I got the message shown in the third attachment. Am I having this problem because of the two different pitches or am I doing something wrong somewhere else? I'm not attaching the plan at this time because I'm thinking this is a very simple plan using scissor trusses. If no one can come up with the solution I will zip the plan later.

post-76-0-73526700-1410991930_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-83736700-1410991961_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-70727000-1410991977_thumb.jpg

Scott.............I did try manually moving the hole, but I would still get the same offsets in the shaft opening at the top and bottom of of the skylight as shown in the new attachments.Do I need to post this simple plan? I'm drawing a blank. It has to be something I don't have setup correctly, but my brain must be lost in the "semi-retirement world"

post-76-0-66083700-1410997784_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-51868500-1410997814_thumb.jpg

Got it, you might want to post a simple plan.

I remember this, I forgot the solution, maybe I can remember in the AM.

......... maybe I will remember in the morning....... Or maybe I will review the vid if i can find it...... Nuts..... I can't remember.

Scott.........I tried the "down and dirty" solution you suggested and other problems showed up. I made the ceiling plane framing 1/16" and I get the projections shown on the first attachment with the question mark. In the second attachment I changed the ceiling plane framing to 3" and the projections changed to something shorter. I have the bottom chord of the scissor trusses set for 5 1/2". When I change the ceiling plane framing to 5 1/2" the projections go away. With this in mind I know where (or sort of) the projection are coming from, but I don't know why. I also don't understand why the skylight shaft and the ceiling doesn't come together at "A" in the first attachment. I'm hoping this is a bug with using a scissor truss and skylights. It would make me feel better. I just can't understand what I'm doing wrong. I'll have to open a new plan, make a small building with a ceiling pitch different from the roof pitch and see what happen when a skylight is installed. Have you tried that to see if you get the results I'm getting? If I still get the same result I'll have to send it in to support.

post-76-0-43774000-1411059043_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-86300800-1411059904_thumb.jpg

Conclusion........................1. First attachment shows a room with a ceiling. Skylight looks fine (or as good as CA can do it).

2. Second attachment shows a room without a ceiling and then a level ceiling plane "drawn in" at the same level as the room with a ceiling in the first attachment. Big difference in the way they look. In the second attachment the shaft doesn't attach to the ceiling correctly or look anything like the shaft in the first attachment. To me this is wrong and I consider it a "BUG". Has anyone else taken the time to see if they come up with the same results. If so, I'll send it in to support.

post-76-0-80079100-1411061976_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-10834200-1411061991_thumb.jpg

Larry,  I think I have this figured out.  I will do a vid when I get a chance.  It is virtually perfect.

The "shards" you are getting is because you put the skylight in before you zeroed out the framing for the ceiling plane.

There is also an extra SKYLIGHT SHAFT.  There is a skylight shaft for the roof hole and one for the ceiling hole.  Open up the dvx for those and change the materials and you will see what I am talking about.  You can not get rid of the "shaft" for the ceiling hole yet that is where the last part of the problem is.  Change that material to opening no material,  and the picture will be perfect.

post-50-0-70539300-1411130624_thumb.jpg

Scott.................Looks great. I'll be the first to watch the video and study it very carefully. I tried doing what you said (I think) and got different results. I even made both shafts material "opening (no material) at the same time. Thank you for your time and effort. It's much appreciated.

post-76-0-91578800-1411131986_thumb.jpg

Scott............Thanks for doing the video. It's as close to perfection as you can get in X6. I really think it should work without doing what I call "farting around" or in CA terms--a work around. My personality makes me cringe when I can't make it perfect----sorry. I think I'll "squeak" a little and send the problem into support along with a link to this thread and your Youtube video. It'll be interesting to see what they say. Have a great day!