Dimension Size On Layout

leapfrog

Hi there,

I'm using home designer pro and preparing a number of drawings for council approval here in Australia. One of my drawings is a "Site plan" showing terrain and footprint of a house. I have created layout files in A3 format and sending plan to layout. The problem I'm having is that the dimensions on the drawing are too small to read on the layout. I found the minimum dimension size setting under preferences and apperance which did exactly what I wanted it to do in the plan view, but as soon as I "send to layout" the dimensions revert to being small again.

What am I missing here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached to screen shots one in plan view and one in layout view

post-1681-0-50326900-1402813191_thumb.jpg

post-1681-0-48693100-1402813209_thumb.jpg

You should probably ask this question on the Home Designer forum.

When you select a layout border and open it's dbx, do you have a setting called Dimension...Number Height? 

You can change the dimension text size there, but you shouldn't have to if that is the correct size.

which version of HD PRO ?

since HD PRO users have manual tools for roofs and framing and cabinetry etc

they can benefit from following the Chieftalk forum

they should be aware that PRO has approx. 25% of the features of Chief Premier

and that some solutions provided on Chieftalk may not be applicable

they should also follow the Hometalk forum

Lew

The dimension setting in preferences only affects how the dimension look on your computer screen.  Layout views are more wysiwyg and will show you what the dimensions will look like when printed.  To solve your problem, you will need to adjust your dimension settings in your plan view such that they will look good when you send them to the layout depending on the scale you are using.  Since Pro only has a single layout page, you may want to keep several versions of your plans and layouts for various scales.  This would probably be much easier in Premier but you should be able to do what you want in Pro.

See if this Helps:

Make sure your Printer/page setup sizes are setup correctly 1st , then while in Plan view , goto Printer >Print Preview  and it should show you what you will get , then you can ,with the Edit>Defaults>dimension>Manual Dimensions  play with the size setting....while it is usually 5-6" for me while Drawing, I make it 10 or 12" eg for Ext. Dimensions , but might get messy if you have lots of Manually drawn Dims in the Interior too.

You can also play with the Scale to see if it will fit on the page before Sending to Layout , as seen below with this Practice Plan it is set to 3/16"= 1' , with size 12 Ext. Dims.

M.

post-315-0-70930900-1402860248_thumb.png

at layout  recheck your Printer Page Setup ( I find mine seems to change on its own , but maybe cos my default printer is diff. to my CA Printer (PDF)

post-315-0-94073000-1402860596_thumb.png

Hi All,

Thank you so much for the replies, and the print preview option worked! I was able to enlarge the font size in the print preview mode. it had me stumped for a good couple of days! As for the forum, I do realize (now) that there is a home designer forum and I posted this on the wrong forum (does anybody else find the websites confusing?)

The version I'm using is 2014.

Greetings from down under