Deck Post ,fascia Mount Possible?

Kbird1

Also can't figure out how to have a bottom rail on a stair railing as well as a newel post midway down the star rather than a 12' run with no newel post ... and I know that's not just something we do in Canada ;-)

FYI I am on X7 ... the latest and not so greatest.

Like you this is something I deal with too , but easily done by turning the auto railing OFF on the Staircase and placing your own straight deck Railing with the "follow stair" option set, along with the Newel Spacing at say 48" (see pic) . I haven't been able to get Glenn's method to offset the newels to work on stairs as it does for Deck edges ( there is no need to make 3D post extensions with his method ,or Bill's by the look) and I also have an issue with the stair railing joining the Deck railing in 3D ,as it joins the invisible offset layer ,not the Post. BTW the 2x6 Top Cap is a Room Molding Polyline ,which can be any material, though I haven't messed with how to do that on the Stairs yet.

post-315-0-33987300-1430087722_thumb.jpg

post-315-0-40208000-1430087732_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Here's a slightly different take on the problem.

I've defined the deck with the invisible wall, and I've also specified retaining wall.

The railing is first drawn as a regular wall, and adjusted for height in elevation, and then converted to a railing. It is specified as no room definition, and as a terrain retaining wall. This definition allows me to pull the railing wall back at the corners to show the double post.

This solution will look correct in vector views, and gives the double post at the corner, while keeping everything live.

Looks interesting Bill , could you explain the significance of the use of Retaining Walls designation for the Invisible Walls and the use of Terrain Retaining Wall designation for the Railings . 

Could the Railing elevation not be controlled by setting the Deck Room's Ceiling height to say 42" ? (guard rail height here) with ceiling and roof turned off of course for the deck room.

M.

Hi Mick,

I used retaining walls in this case for two reasons; first, I can control the wall easier (Chief doesn't restrict retaining walls as much as regular walls), and second, I could eliminate some unwanted artifacts by using retaining walls.

I like retaining walls for unusual conditions because I can retain room definition, and yet have a great deal of flexibility. A good example is putting a railing on a mildly sloping roof deck; There is just no way with a regular wall, but a retaining wall can be made to do it.

Controlling the top rail height is not a problem, and like Glen did, I pulled the bottom of the wall down so it would cover the deck.

Thanks again Bill , that does look good , possibly the best solution yet.......

I guess you don't have an invisible layer then?  would you mind attaching your plan to the thread please , so I can look at your settings and wall definitions etc , my attempt has the terrain retaining wall sitting on the ground for some reason...

thanks 

Mick

Here is the same deck with a cable rail. It's still a work in progress, but I'll post the plan, as I think it is interesting. Everything is done with room definitions, and live walls.

The cable railings do not attach as cleanly as the standard Chief stair railings, but it's still workable.

I like this solution because it's pushing the limits of what the software is designed to do.

post-62-0-08894200-1430107271_thumb.jpg

curved shed roof.plan

deck cable rail.plan

that does look good Bill , thanks for posting the plan but I think you still had the plan open when you Zipped It  as the file is empty.

PS I think it might be the USER pushing the limits of the software in this case  :)

M.

Thanks again Bill , I have the Plan's now and will check them out , much appreciated ,as even with my years of using CA Software and lurking on the Forums, I have not seen this technique before and would never have thought of it. So I am happy that guys like you and Joe C. etc are willing to share your hard earned knowledge with us all.

M.

Thanks again Bill , I have the Plan's now and will check them out , much appreciated ,as even with my years of using CA Software and lurking on the Forums, I have not seen this technique before and would never have thought of it. So I am happy that guys like you and Joe C. etc are willing to share your hard earned knowledge with us all.

M.

Mick

"We the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing" just kidding, here is the plan,

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxgCyu8dBKtcSnhFZ3FsSEc3ek0/edit?usp=docslist_api

Here is the video

Hint:- don't miss to display the z , when viewing the plan.

Thanks Yusef :) another useful technique , I haven't played with Ramps much before , looks like I'll have to investigate that more too.

Thanks for the hint , wouldn't have found that layer without it ...

M.

Thanks Yusef :) another useful technique , I haven't played with Ramps much before , looks like I'll have to investigate that more too.

Thanks for the hint , wouldn't have found that layer without it ...

M.

Mick here is the step by step procedure of my method in an earlier thread, thought it will help

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/4602-deck-railing-with-balusters-above-low-wall/#entry39876