Chief Architect 10 On Windows 8.1

Best1inDE

I can see upgrading to the latest software if you can afford it, however I've had Chief Architect products pretty much from the beginning, and I don't see buying more upgrades when I own a good version, I have the tutorials, and a hardware lock, and it works.  I was disappointed that there are no clear instructions anywhere to install this version on the latest Windows operating system 8.1 implying it is not possible.  However, there are usually solutions and I found one that works for me as if I were on my old computer running Win XP, but now with an i7 chip.  You cannot simply install Chief Architect 10 on Windows 8.1 because it will not accept the CD Key, and you may have to upgrade the hardware lock as well by flashing it.  Read on...

What you can do is to first install on Windows 8.1 the free software by Oracle called Oracle VM VirtualBox.  Then you load your Windows XP software in the Virtual Box software which is simply a way of using two operating systems at the same time.  Once Win XP is properly installed, you can install your Chief Architect 10 software, install the hardware lock, and even transfer your old chief files/plans and off you go.  I haven't tried to port the library downloads for cabinets, and other products, so I can't vouch for that, but this solution works for me like the original installation on a PC with only Win XP.  I haven't run into any problems so far and there is a distinct advantage of being able to use new and old software simultaneously.  You may enjoy building a house with your fingers using a touch screen in Window 8.1 as, for example, you can drag a door and put it in wall, or simply use your fingers instead of the mouse.

I did have to contact the hardware lock maker to get the latest software upgrade for the hardware lock to work on Window 8.1.  They kindly sent me a link to the software and it worked the first time after it was flashed and the driver was installed on my new PC.  The point is when you are done with the installation above, you are using Chief Architect 10 on a Window 8.1 PC like any other software.  It takes two extra clicks to get it launched because you start the Virtual Box manager and then Win XP, but then every thing else is the same.  Just wanted to give a little hope for users who may not have deep pockets, because this solution did not cost any money.

• Upvote 1

I have versions 7, 9, 10 and 11 installed on a dual-boot of XP and Windows 7 (XP on one Hard Drive and Windows 7 on another separately) which has worked for me for years). I am glad you took the time to share your experience and success.

This is the first time I have heard of an emulator working, how is your general performance with this set up (I also installed version 10 directly within Windows 7, but its performance is not as good as in XP), lots of crashes and flickering screens?

DJP

I wanted to try the dual boot concept since I also had multiple hard drives, but the hardware was just too old to support the new operating systems.  In the Virtual Box solution, I loaded XP with all the latest updates.  However I don't have any other software other than Chief Architect running on XP, even though in Win 8.1, my computer has a lot of software.  I have not experienced any flickering screens, nor do I find CA to be slow, certainly not slower than on my older XP computer, but rather much faster and more reliable.  I am neither a draftsman nor an architect, so the complexity that I am used to, may not be a realistic stress test for others, however the installation within Virtual Box is very stable, to include use of the camera, 3D, etc...

Ok folks you are confusing the hell out of me. I have windows 8.1 and I have x6 version 10 I am guessing . I have no problems should I? Should I try to make some? If version 10 does not install on 8.1 why did it for me. I get an ocassional crash . Should I go back to the cob webs of history and be using an outdated version of wimdows?

• 2 weeks later...

I too have the same situation as Best1inDE has.  I have version 10.08a full and would like to buy a new computer with windows 8.1 and make this work.  My situation may be different however, I have a parallel lock connected to my xp computer that works currently.  I do not know if I purchase a parallel card for the 8.1 that it would unlock the software/ hardware inside oracle VM or what other problem would prevent it from not working like the gentleman above described.  I'm not sure what kind of hardware lock he was using to be "re-flashed" but I would hate to invest a lot of money into a new computer only find that I would need to invest a lot more to make chief work again.

Any input or ideas to think about before proceeding would be appreciated.

CA won't having any of the older locks

you would have to get someone to donate theirs or buy one on Ebay

you should also try to find the download for ver 10.8b which was a patch for Vista

trying to run ver 10.08a which was designed for Win XP on a newer PC is most likely

going to cause grief

you might get it to run but will it run well ???

consider finding an old XP PC and using it solely for Chief 

don't try to get on the internet with it

or consider buying a newer version of Chief

I would skip X1 and X3

X4 or later would be your best choice

Lew

Another option is to Dual boot XP with Win 8 and use it just for CA10. you already have a licence for XP so why not use it.... you may even Want to have Win7 instead of 8 ? new computers can still be ordered with  Win7 too.

Catman 777's concern over the software lock is an interesting point.  VM uses your drivers that you install on the computer and all the hardware.  For example, if you have a dvd player or a card reader, and in my case a Sentinel HASP HL (Aladdin), they all work within Virtual Machine as well, but the drivers are install in Windows 8.1 for the devices.  It would be the same for the software lock, but I would ask the software lock maker.  For the Sentinel HASP, the folks at Safe Net were very nice and very helpful.  I would also look through the Oracle VM documentation

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Documentation

to see if you can find a specific answer for your parallel lock, but I don't see why it should not work.  It is the CA software that may not recognize it due to the code in the executable which is works specifically for how Win XP is built, not the Oracle VM.  The VM solution is a great if you have only one hard drive, and you don't have to partition it, and it will have the actual Win XP loaded into it.  The reason I had to have my hardware lock updated (flashed and install a driver for Win 8.1),was so it would work with Windows 8.1.

When I loaded CA 10.a in Win 8.1 directly, it could not find the HASP hardware lock.  So I deleted the program and re-installed it in Win XP (SP3) inside the Oracle VM Virtual Box installed in Win 8.1.  The way I see it, if you want a new computer, it should not be just for CA, but rather for better performance and all the other reasons you should upgrade.  Then try this solution with the Oracle VM.  If you need to upgrade your software lock's parallel card, that will much less expensive than a new CA license for the newer software which has tons more features than what you may need.

Just to be clear, I'm not pushing any particular solution, I'm an American living in Germany and have learned to be thrifty.  You get used to the words "zu teuer" (too expensive) and look for valuable alternatives.  Since this issue had bugged me for years and I had already upgraded at least five times, I find that paying for more features than I need is not reasonable and CA 10 works just fine for me, so I'm sharing my experience to let other know there is an alternative.  And I'm really glad to see other comment as well.  Obviously there are other good ideas as well and there is personal preference as well.  Don't be afraid to try, maybe on someone else's computer if you don't want to buy your own first.  It doesn't take so long to load the software and erase it if it doesn't work and it will not hurt anything to try.

I would add that if you have zipped libraries, you should keep them and install them on your new machine.  Simply copying libraries which may need to be installed from zipped installations will most likely not work and those downloads are no longer available from the CA site, but other users may still have them and since they were free to begin with they may be happy to share them.

I find that paying for more features than I need is not reasonable

an admirable goal

it is certainly possible to still watch tv on a circa 1960 B/w 13" set

it is certainly possible to still drive a Model T Ford to get to work etc

it is certainly possible to still build a house with a hand saw

while possible  - will it be enjoyable or efficient

how do you get tech support for an "antique" version ???

each time CA releases a new version you will find it harder and harder

to find anyone who remembers your version worked

when I am in business I want the latest and greatest

and will try to find a way to afford it

yes, budget choices have to be made

but to turn your back on new features just because

"I didn't need them then - so I don't need them now" ???

Lew

If performance of Chief is a motivation to upgrade to more modern hardware you should really consider upgrading Chief itself.

For many reasons modern versions of Chief are faster on modern hardware than older versions of Chief. For example version 10 doesn't support running on multiple cores which are common even on hardware that version 10 was designed to run on.

Other factors, such as changes in how video cards work have been adapted to as Chief has evolved over that last several versions.

There are also other factors such as supporting 64 bit that older versions of Chief can't support.

Not to mention that there are new features that make doing certain operations much quicker.

My sense is that many who resist paying to keep software current are actually costing themselves more in lost time than they are saving. Of course that may not be your case, but only you can answer that.

• Upvote 1

The EASY solution of course , if X6 is out of the question now, is just to have two computers under your desk like me and use a KVM switch to go back and forward as needed with a tap of the scroll-lock key..... leave Chief where it is on the old machine and use your new computer for the "Everyday" stuff ,like coming here to the Forums.... 

M.

My sense is that many who resist paying to keep software current are actually costing themselves more in lost time than they are saving. ............

This is so true.  Sometimes we think we are saving money but actually we are losing money.

So my Mom and her Husband are moving back to San Diego after 10 years in Oregon.  They have two cars to bring down along with a horse,  four dogs,  3 cats and a parrot....... all in two cars.

Now they are older than Joe Carrick.....  which puts them at about 137 years old.  My Mom can barely see,  she has broken her back several times falling off her horse,  and she can't lift her arms above her shoulder.

Being the wonderful son that I am,  I insisted on flying up there and driving one of the cars and they can drive the other. 

If I fly on Friday,   it will cost $312.00.  But if I fly on Thursday,  the day before,  it will cost only 247.00.  A savings of 65.00....  nice savings.  Of course I will not be working Thursday, which at my 10.00/hour rate times 8 hours means I lose $80.00 to save 65.00.   

I ain't that dumb........ I am flying out on a Friday.

....So my Mom and her Husband are moving back to San Diego after 10 years in Oregon.  They have two cars to bring down along with a horse,  four dogs,  3 cats and a parrot....... all in two cars.

Hope you don't have to drive the car that has the horse inside. B)

LOL

I think they do have a trailer for the horse that the Yukon will pull.  So they have a 4 year old Mercedes and a 17 year old Yukon with a broken air conditioner and springs popping through the driver seat,  guess which one I will be driving.  In fact Dave doesn't think the Yukon can make the trip,  so we are going to take the 101 in lieu of the quick drive down the 5,  just in case the Yukon breaks down.

It would be my luck we would be driving through rush hour traffice at 5:15 in the afternoon in LA when the darn thing breaks down.   I would coast over to the shoulder and the dogs would have to "spend a penny",  the parrot wouldn't shut up,  the horse will be spooked by the cars honking at me  and a spring from the driver's seat would of found an uncomfortable spot up my wazoo.

Boy,  am I looking forward to this trip.